Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Chocolate & Cinnamon

If you worked here you’d be eating chocolate cinnamon cupcakes!

But you probably don’t work here so you’re out of luck.

 

The cupcakes I made this weekend were a success.  I used a simple chocolate cupcake recipe by Chockylit and added 2 teaspoons of cinnamon after reducing the cocoa by the same amount.  It gave the cupcakes a light cinnamon flavour to complement the dark chocolate and the aroma was wonderful.

 

The frosting was a basic chocolate ganache (another recipe from Chockylit!).  I was a little worried at first as it was very runny and there was nothing to indicate how long it would take to thicken.  I am not a patient person and it was already late at night so I decided to refrigerate it and deal with it later.  The next day it was completely hard which I had expected.  After melting it down I left it on the counter to firm up naturally and it worked out perfectly!  The 70% dark chocolate made the frosting a great match for the sweeter cupcake.

 

As a garnish I mixed up some white sugar and cinnamon.  The sugar added that little extra sparkle.  I would recommend adding this right before serving.  I sprinkled the mix on to the cupcakes the previous night and the combination of a very moist frosting and a water soluble topping such as sugar created a few droplets of syrup.

 

My coworkers have been happily munching on cupcakes since breakfast!

2 comments:

Kelly O said...

Oh my word, that sounds INSANELY good! I think I'll try to make them this weekend. Mmm, chocolate and cinnamon....

Nikita said...

That cupcake blog has not steered me wrong yet. Just make the icing WAY early because it takes forever to set. :)