Wednesday, August 8, 2007

I am the newest addition to MacGeekdom.

I did it! I bought the shiny new iMac!

I have been wanting an iMac for quite a while now. The drool inducing obsession began when I saw my friend Jeff's new iMac a couple of years ago. When I finally decided it was my turn to abandon my PC-user-ways I felt it would be best to wait until the rumoured hardware release. Am I ever happy that I waited! The new iMac has been updated from their usual white plastic. It is a sleek, thin and lovely aluminum and glass fabrication.

I ordered my iMac online so I won't have it right away. It takes 3-5 days to process the order, customize my iMac and get it shipped. Then up to 8 more days before arriving at my door. Yes, I'm cheap... a $1500 machine and I cheaped out on the $40 to get it here sooner.

So for the fun of it I've decided to share the status of my iMac order with all my readers (I think we're up to 3 of you now!). I will add updates each time I obsessively check the Apple website. Doesn't that sound exciting??

iMac Order Status:
8/7/07 - 8pm - Order Placed.
8/8/07 - 5pm - Not shipped yet.
8/9/07 - 8am - Not shipped yet.
8/9/07 - 12pm - Prepared for Shipment! (WAHOO!)
8/10/07 - 9:02am - Shipped from Shanghai, China
8/10/07 - 1:34pm - Arrived in Anchorage, Alaska
8/11/07 - 12:32am - Arrived in Memphis, Tennesee
8/11/07 - 5:03am - Left Memphis, Tennesee
8/12/07 - all day - Obsessively checking the tracking info... still no news.
8/13/07 - all day - Why won't they update the freaking site??

More status updates to come!!

My iMac specs: 20" monitor, 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB Hard drive, with the 256MB ATI video card. I only upgraded the RAM... the hard drive I have now is only 80GB so 4x the space will be perfect... for now.

Here are some lovely images of my new toy:

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Which model did you order? The 20" maxed out (one up from the base model) or the 24" / 300 GB one?

Nikita said...

Yup, the 20" maxed out one. I saw the 24" at the store (the white plastic model) but it was just too large for my purposes (online jigsaw puzzles).

I actually had to turn my head to see the sides of the monitor!

I updated the post with the full specs of my iMac... and the fact that it has been prepped for shipping!

Unknown said...

You'll have to name him or her.

Nikita said...

I'll take suggestions :)

Anonymous said...

my goodness it's so very slim!

we need a new computer too but Greg wants to get it from Sears if he can ( yep they are selling computers)

Of course the model he was looking at is about the same as the one we have now and both of us are tired of waiting for things to load on this one

I may have to direct him to the Mac Site.

take care
Mich

Nikita said...

It is crazy slim! And the keyboard is almost paper thin. I think you and Greg should definitely come over to the Mac-side... :)
Nikita~