Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Feminism; coolest f-word ever.

I am one of the lucky ones. I've got a good boss, I am satisfied with my pay, and in comparison to my male counterparts I make the same if not more money. This is not a common occurrence.

Violence against women continues. The Picton trial is just another example of the horrors women worry about in the world today.

To make matters worse the Canadian government has decided that "equality" has been achieved and has cut funding to the Status of Women Canada by 40%! I guess I missed the memo. Last time I checked the status of women, particularly minorities and single moms, was not in good shape.

All of this pisses me off and apparently I'm not the only one who feels this way. The Women Are Angry and Status Report are Canadian organizations who are trying to spread the word regarding women's issues and the lack of government support.

Check out their websites. Get Angry. Support the cause in any way you can.

As Ani diFranco says "...why can't all decent men and women call themselves feminists? Out of respect for those who fought for this?"

No comments: